Search This Blog

Sunday, April 14, 2013

the sound of morning

Isn't life busy? It seems like every day we have somewhere to be at a certain time. This is all good and necessary, but sometimes, we need to have a morning where we enter into the simplicity of the morning.

As a child, the sound of morning was that of pots and pans clanking in the kitchen while I lumbered in bed and slowly came to. I knew life was happening downstairs, and it was happening for me, for the family. My mom would be working, starting the day getting organized and on Sundays, making breakfast from scratch, including caramel rolls. mmmm.

The same thing would happen when we visited my grandma's house in Minnesota. The kids would all be piled upstairs and the adults would be sitting for coffee in the kitchen with perhaps the next door neighbor. There was always clanking. Life was happening.

I am not a morning person.

But those mornings stick so sweetly in my memory that I want that to be something my kids remember as well. After my daughter innocently impersonated me one day asking, "Mommy, why do you look like this (aka zombie) in the morning?,"I knew I needed to change my tune and smile, letting them know I was ready for them.

So the simplicity of the morning can be whatever you chose to make it. This morning, it was entering into the process of making pancakes and watching the eggs slowly scramble together, figuring out how to make a friendship bracelet and yes, drinking my coffee. We didn't have to be out the door until well past that snuggly, sacred time of just enjoying being a family.


Enjoy your day, and enjoy this morning's Morning Bird

2 comments:

  1. Love that memory, Katie! I have memories of what morning sounded like too. So good to stop and remember...especially now that we're the moms i n that equation!

    Thanks for sharing your lovely insights :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping in and letting us know your thoughts! Its amazing how memory can work for us.

    ReplyDelete